Saturday, June 14, 2008

Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion


Or its lineup.

When the NBA Finals started, nine of ten ESPN writers picked the Lakers to beat the Celtics. Only Tim Legler, I believe, chose the Celtics. Across the blogosphere, the Lakers were the favorites; J.E. Skeets and Tas Melas of my favorite podcast, The Basketball Jones, picked LA in six. I'm trying to remember a major writer who picked the Celtics to win. (Bill Simmons did, but he's a Boston fan so he doesn't count.)

I can't.

I bet another lunch on the Celtics, and, I admit, a part of me did because of the fan in me. I felt the Celtics had a chance––however slim––in seven. I believed then––as I do now––that Boston had the better lineup. A more experienced, hardworking bench; three stars, all desperate for a championship to validate their careers; role players who played their guts out every freakin' game.

Maybe LA had, on paper, a more talented, energetic lineup.

But in terms of motivation, in terms of heart, I thought the Boston Celtics would win because they want it more.

Now, with the Celtics up, 3-1, they've confirmed it.

And proven that, 22 years after the last Celtics team won a championship, defense wins championships. And that the intangibles like heart and focus and drive matter.


No comments: